We offer a number of additional services to increase accessibility for the elderly, poor-sighted and other passengers with impaired mobility.
Assistance getting on and off the train
Do you need assistance getting on and off the train? No problem – you can request the required assistance 48 hours in advance by calling +31(0)30 235 78 22 (7 days a week, 24 hours a day). Please have all relevant information at hand when you make this call. Fax If you are hearing impaired, you can fax your request for assistance to +31 (0)30 235 39 35. Your confirmation will be sent back to you by fax. Assistance abroad Assistance abroad has a longer application time and we advise you to request the required assistance at least 1 week before departure. More information For more information on this service, please visit the NS.nl website (in Dutch).
Travelling with a guide
Passengers with impaired mobility may be eligible for a Public Transport Guide Pass. Depending on the country in which is being travelled, you may get a free ticket for the person accompanying you when you show this card.
- The wheelchair places on Intercity Brussels services are almost always located in the centre of the train.
- People escorting passengers with an OV Guide Pass can travel with Intercity Brussels services within the Netherlands and Belgium for free.
- To be able to get onto the train – and also the elevators and movable ramps – the wheelchair may be no larger than 150x70 cm (outside) and you and your wheelchair may not have a combined weight of 250 kilo.
- If needed, you can request assistance to get on and off the train by calling +31(0)30 235 78 22 (7 days a week, 24 hours a day).
- In Comfort 1 there is space especially for passengers in a wheelchair. There is a special reduced ticket price for this space and one person may accompany you for the same reduced rate. Passengers get a meal or a snack in Comfort 1. You will have to make a special reservation (030-2300023).
- The width of the door leading to this carriage is 70 cm. Electric wheelchairs and mobility scooters may be taken on board as long as they are not wider than 70cm. You will have to make a special reservation (030-2300023).
- The reduced ticket price is not valid for passengers who are blind or poor-sighted - but is valid for one person accompanying them. A guide dog may board the train, free of charge.
ICE International and Intercity Berlin. There are two or four wheelchair spaces in every ICE International and Intercity Berlin train in a 2nd class carriage and there are handicap washroom/toilet facilities in the vicinity. Next to each wheelchair space there is a seat that is always reserved for the accompanying passenger. Allowable maximum size of the wheelchair is 125 x 70 cm. There are limited opportunities for travelling with a mobility scooter. For advice contact telephone number: +31(0)30 235 78 22 (7 days a week, 24 hours a day).
In first class there are two spaces especially for passengers in a wheelchair. There is a special reduced ticket price for this space and one person may accompany you for the same reduced rate. Travellers with a mobility scooter may transport it free of charge on the Eurostar in the luggage compartment.
- Mobility scooter and/or wheelchair may not be wider than 100 cm.
- Scooters that run on fuel are not permitted.
- Register your trip with mobility scooter at EuroDespatch via tel.: 0044 344 822 5 822 (open daily from 08:00 to 22:00 hrs).
- The reduced ticket price is not valid for passengers who are blind or poor-sighted - but is valid for one person accompanying them.
The wheelchair space on TGV trains is accessible for passengers with both a manual or electric wheelchair and mobility scooters with maximum dimensions of length 120 cm and width 70 cm.