Tips to book cheaper tickets
- NS International often has offers. Click here for an overview of the current offers.
- Book as early as possible so you have the best chance of getting the lowest prices.
- Is it not possible to book your destination yet? Then click on the desired departure day in the calendar and set up an email alert.
- Travelling in the evening is often cheaper.
- If you want to leave for a weekend, go Sat-Sun-Mon instead of Fri-Sat-Sun.
- Sign up for the newsletter (Dutch only). This way you will always be the first to know about our offers.
- Are you travelling to Belgium? Book the cheaper Early Bird fare up to 7 days before departure.
- Book online. With online bookings you do not pay any booking fees. Payment is safe, simple and fast via iDEAL or credit card.
Prices depend on the time of booking, degree of flexibility and the time of travel.
We offer different rates, with the lowest rates often limited. If the cheapest tickets are sold out, the "stock" will automatically sell slightly more expensive tickets.
The price can also depend on the degree of flexibility, just like in aviation: if you want to be able to change or cancel your ticket later, you pay a little more. And: the busier the train, the more expensive the tickets will be. So be quick and book your train ticket as early as possible. You will then have the best chance of getting the lowest prices.
When can you book?
The different carriers decide when the train tickets will be sold. This period is not the same for all trains.
- Thalys (Paris, Lille, Brussels and Antwerp): 4 months before departure.
- Intercity Brussels (destinations in Belgium): 180 days before departure (approximately 6 months)
- German destinations: 180 days before departure (approximately 6 months)
- London: varies according to the route:
Eurostar (direct train): 180 days before departure (approximately 6 months)
Eurostar and Intercity Brussels (transfer to Brussels Zuid/Midi): 180 days before departure (approximately 6 months)
Eurostar and Thalys (change of trains in Brussels Zuid/Midi): 4 months before departure.
The price calendar
For a large number of destinations, we have a price calendar that allows you to see at a glance what the lowest price on a day is.
The calendar can be used for Paris, London, Berlin, Cologne, Antwerp, Brussels, Bruges, Dusseldorf and Lille. You will automatically see the calendar when the international train stops at your departure station and you have selected 'one adult'.
Are you departing from another station? Or are you travelling with more than one adult, a child or a senior citizen? No problem: you choose a station on the train route (Amsterdam Central Station, for example), select an adult and see when you can travel cheaply.
Then change the departure station and select the desired travel group. This way you can easily find the cheapest day of travel and the best price for you!
An example of a price calendar is shown below: