Long weekend getaway
If you can add an extra day or two, a weekend away will feel like a wonderful mini-holiday. With just a bit more travel time, surprising destinations will be within reach. Be inspired for a nice long weekend getaway by train!
3 days Bremen
Step aboard Intercity Berlin on Friday and arrive more than 4 hours later in the fairytale city of Bremen. This will give you time to admire the city centre (which is on the UNESCO World Heritage list!). Walk through winding alleys in Schnoor on Saturday and eat in the trendy Das Viertel district. With good planning, a trip to Bremerhaven will fit in perfectly with your long weekend away.
- Narrow houses and snug alleys in Schnoor
- Street art, boutiques and restaurants in Das Viertel
- Klimahaus at Bremerhaven
- Find train tickets to Bremen
4 days Lyon
A long weekend getaway full of sun, good food and fine wine. That awaits you after a 5h43m trip with the TGV. Upon arriving at Lyon, you can still do some quick shopping. Rent an (e-)bike on Saturday to see the city’s highlights. Then relax in the sun on a terrace. On Sunday, stroll through lively Vieux-Lyon and let yourself be pampered with traditional dishes in a bouchon. You can stay out late, as you're not going home until Monday!
- La Part Dieu shopping centre at the train station
- Cycle tour past all the main sights
- Dining in a bouchon restaurant Auberge du Pont de Collonges
- Find train tickets to Lyon
5 days Nice
Beach lover? There's plenty of time for that during a super long weekend in Nice! Travel time with TGV is about 10 hours. Enjoy watching the sun set after your arrival at the Promenade des Anglais. On Friday, you can explore the city extensively. On Saturday, visit the film festival city of Cannes, and on Sundas the characteristic town of Antibes, where you will also find the Picasso museum. A trip you can look back on in the train on Monday, thanks to all the beautiful photos you will have taken.
- Nice: Promenade des Anglais full of luxury hotels, casinos, shops and restaurants
- Cannes: Luxury yachts in Port Pierre Canto and Vieux Port
- Antibes: beautiful coastal town with Picasso museum
- Find train tickets to Nice
Longer getaway? Bologna or Barcelona
For those who don’t mind a travel time of 12 hours (shouldn’t be a problem on the train, right?), you can also opt for a beautiful destination like Bologna. An excellent base to visit Florence and Pisa. Or what about Barcelona? In this vibrant city, you can spend days without being bored for a second!
Tips to book cheap traintickets
- Book as early as possible so you have the best chance of getting the lowest price
- You can book traintickets approximately 4 till 6 months before departure