Quickly to the heart of Ghent
- From € 36* with Thalys
- From € 46,80* with Intercity Brussels
- Travel time Amsterdam – Ghent 2.16 with Thalys
- Travel time Amsterdam – Ghent 3.23 with Intercity Brussels
The advantages of travelling by train
- Board directly, no check-ins
- Comfortable seating
- Arrival in the heart of town
- Online no booking fee
You can choose to make the journey with Thalys or Intercity Brussels. Choose which train to Antwerp meets your needs the best. In Antwerp you can change trains and catch a domestic train on to Ghent.
Initial travel with Intercity Brussels Intial travel with Thalys Easy spontaneous visit to Belgium Fast and comfortable travel to Belgium Last minute tickets available Reserved seats Fixed low ticket price Early booking = lowest prices No reservation needed Shortest travel time
For a complete travel itinerary, consult our itinerary planner.
Tickets issued from or to Ghent are also valid in the regular trains from or to stations Drongen, Gentbrugge, Ghent-Dampoort, Ghent-Sint-Pieters en Wondelgem.
Shorter travel time for Intercity Brussels from Amsterdam
Passengers who want to travel faster from Amsterdam to Belgium and do not mind changing trains an extra time, may travel with an Intercity Brussels ticket on an Intercity direct train for the route Amsterdam-Rotterdam. You do not need a supplement ticket, your international ticket for Intercity Brussels is sufficient.
Prices train tickets Ghent
There are different types of Thalys rates each with related prices. The prices of Intercity Brussels tickets are fixed and not dependent on the time of booking or availability of tickets. Even last-minute, you can travel for the same price!
The price of Thalys depends on
- The moment of booking - Early booking means lowest prices
- Travel class - 1st or 2nd class
- Flexibility - Regarding rebooking and cancellations
Options flexibility Thalys
- Bargain tickets
- Rebooking is not possible
- Subject to availability
- One change possible
- 50% refund
- Readily available
- Rebooking free of charge
- Cancellation free of charge
- Always available
Prices Intercity Brussels to Ghent Standard rate Discount on NS route Free travel NS route Standard rate Discount on NS route Free travel NS route 2nd class 1st class One-way trip € 46.80 € 35.80 € 19.40 € 76.40 € 57.80 € 29.80 Return € 93.60 € 71.60 € 38.80 € 152.80 € 115.60 € 59.60 Super Day Return € 60.00 -- € 27.20 € 97.80 -- € 41.80 Weekend Return € 56.00 -- € 23.20 € 76.40 -- € 29.80 Youth € 30.40 € 29.00 € 12.60 € 49.70 € 47.40 € 19.40*Listed from-prices are based on tickets from Amsterdam Central Station. The price of Intercity Brussels is based on kilometres – if you depart form a station that is closer to Ghent, then the trip is cheaper.**For more information about ticket prices, see lowest rates
Book in advance and save money!
Thalys tickets to Antwerp can be booked up to 4 months in advance.
General tips for getting the cheapest Intercity Brussels tickets
For Intercity Brussels you can buy tickets up to and including the day of departure. You pay a standard price for a one-way or return ticket.
There are, however, cheaper tickets available in the form of, for example, Weekend Return and Super Day Return.
- Weekend Return - With a Weekend Return ticket your profit from a 40% discount when travelling within the same weekend. The ourward journey can be taken on Friday, Saturday or Sunday and the return on Saturday or Sunday. Both without time constriction. On certain national holidays the Weekend Return is extended with a few days.
- Super Day Return - Are you planning to travel back and forth on the same day? You can then get a 20% discount on the standard ticket price! Travel for less with a Super Day Return! Travelling is permitted from Mondays to Fridays after 9.00 hours and the entire day on weekends, certain national and every day in July and August.
- Youth ticket - Passengers 25 years and younger can travel with 35% discount. It permits you to travel after 09.00 hrs on Mondays to Fridays and the entire day on weekends, certain national holidays and in July and August.
General tips for getting the cheapest Thalys tickets
- Book as early as possibly to have the most chance of getting the cheapest tickets.
- Travelling in the evening is often cheaper.
- For a weekend getaway, travel Sat-Sun-Mon instead of Fri-Sat-Sun.
- Book online to avoid booking fee.
To make your trip that much easier, we have summed up certain practical issues for you.
Facilities on board the train
We gladly inform you about all facilities on board so that you can make your journey more comfortable.
Read all about the facilities and practical issues of Thalys
Read all about the facilities and practical issues of Intercity Brussels
View the itinerary planner
Please keep in mind that there could be delays or engineering works and check your trip with the itinerary planner. That way, you will never get an unpleasant surprise!
Download the app
Download our app so that you will be kept informed of the possible changes.
In Antwerp you need to change trains and take a domestic train to Ghent.
Free access to the lounges
If you have a 1st class ticket, you can enjoy a free drink at the NS International Lounge in Amsterdam, Schiphol Airport and Rotterdam.